Membership categories and fees below (please click on a link to fill in the online form to join). We have moved to e-journal as a default for membership. This is for cost and environmental reasons and was passed at SOM’s AGM in 2022.
- Full Member (based in UK and EU)
- Pay by card
- Pay by annual direct debit (1 Feb each year)
- Pay by monthly direct debit (minimum 12 month contract. first payment may be less)
- International Member (for registered resident outside of the UK and Europe. Benefits as full membership but excluding access to insurance)
- Associate Member (Benefits exclude the Occupational Medicine Journal, a listing on the 'Find an Occupational Health Professional Directory', eNews, job alerts, or access to the appraisal service. Access to the members website but no constitutional voting rights.)
- Student Member (for undergraduates and full time post graduate diploma/MSc/PhD students ONLY. Benefits include free webinars, online access to the Journal of Occupational Medicine, regional group meetings, a dedicated student eNews with job and networking opportunities, access to regional groups and the member’s website, and 20% off Oxford University Press books in Public Health and Epidemiology)
- Retired membership - £85 e-journal access or £105 hardcopy. More information here or download the leaflet. Email us on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Professional Partner Membership - £50. For non health professionals only. More information and to join here
- £10 off for Full Members paying by annual Direct Debit. Monthly Direct Debit subject to 12 month contract.
- 50% off for Medical, Nurse and AHP Trainees joining as full members. Contact email@example.com for details.
- Members pay annually from 1 January to 31 December. If you join part way through the year, you are only charged pro rata. Summary of 2023 fees here.
- We offer an Appraisal Scheme for doctors, at an extra cost.
- Group Membership available, for companies of four or more staff who would like to join. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Hardship fund to support SOM Members - click here to apply and have your request considered by the SOM Hardship Committee.
- Remember, membership fees are tax deductible.
- We do not accept American Express.
- We reserve the right to charge a 5 % processing fee for refunds
“SOM membership is an effective way of helping maintain CPD with many interesting, well-run webinars. Logging on is easy and IT support is there to help you if you need it.” Dr Andrew Benc, SOM Member
Member-Get-Member - If you are a member of the SOM, recommend an occupational health colleague for membership! Every time you introduce a new member, we will give you one month off your membership. The offer is available when the person you are recruiting joins online and enters your surname when asked. Terms & Conditions:
- The introducing member must be paying subscriptions to SOM
- The offer is not available to trustees of SOM
- To qualify for a reward, the “recruiter” must be clearly identified at outset. Cases where the recruiter’s details are added retrospectively will not qualify for a reward
- The new member must be applying for full or associate membership only
- There are no limits to the number of referrals an individual can make. However, a maximum of three rewards will be paid in any 12-month period
- The SOM reserves the right to amend or withdraw this scheme without notice at any time
“The SOM is an excellent source of information and support for me as an OH practitioner. They offer the most up to date information affecting OH practice, including Covid-19 resources, and the networking opportunities have been invaluable. I would recommend that all OH nurses join. Helen Parsons, OH Nurse”