How do I become a member?
We'd be delighted to welcome you, please go to Become a member and fill in the online form.
How much does it cost?
Members pay an annual subscription according to their location and category of membership. The subscription year runs from 1 January to 31 December. Those joining part way through the subscription year are charged pro rata. When you apply to join, you will be charged the pro rata amount from the day you join until December 31. Fees are as follows:
- Members - £215
- International membership - £150
- Associate membership - £70
- Retired membership - £90 (Not open to new members)
- Student – free
- Appraisal Scheme - £650
There is a reduction of £10 for Full Members paying by Direct Debit. Please do contact our Membership Administrator (email@example.com) if you have any further queries.
In 2018 we now offer Group Membership, for companies of 4 or more staff who would like to join. Please contact our Membership Administrator (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
Who can join?
Healthcare professionals working in occupational health
Any health professional who has an interest in occupational health and medicine is welcome to become a member. SOM also welcomes those who teach occupational health and medicine and those who have enrolled or are intending to enrol in a course of instruction in Occupational Medicine or Occupational Health.
Examples of our members include:
- Medical doctors including specialist physicians in occupational medicine, trainees in occupational medicine, general practitioners, disability assessor doctors and those from other specialties who are interested in work and health issues
- Nurse/advisor/practitioners registered with the Nursing & Midwifery Council, in particular (but not exclusively) those with a masters or post grad diploma in occupational health
- Allied Health Professionals such as Occupational Therapists and Physiotherapists registered with the Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- Occupational Psychologists registered with the Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- Occupational Ergonomists who are registered members or fellow members of the Institute of Ergonomics & Human Factors
- Occupational Hygienists, in particular (but not exclusively) with the Diploma of Professional Competence in Occupational Hygiene or the Certificate of Operational Competence in Occupational Hygiene
- Occupational Health Technicians
If your qualification does not appear above, but you would like to join the SOM, please apply to join anyway, giving full details of the qualifications you hold, and the Council will consider your application.
International members outside the UK and European Union
Registered occupational health professionals and medical doctors who are resident overseas and outside of the EU are welcome to apply for membership. Note we have a thriving international group which offers free webinars, resources and access to appraisals (for doctors).
Free Student SOM membership is open to undergraduate trainees and post graduate diploma/MSc non-medical students.
- a paper copy of our Journal Occupational Medicine, nine times a year. The Journal is an international peer-reviewed publication, providing vital information for the promotion of workplace health and safety. See below for more information
- monthly eNews and alerts – providing the latest news, jobs, events and information in occupational health and medicine
- free webinars and discounted fees to our CPD events and annual conference
- access to regional groups: to meet your networking and education needs at a local level. We have 10 regional groups across the UK and an international group.
- peer support, via specially trained SOM members
- access to SOM/James Hallam Occupational Health Nurse insurance and FREE Nurse Appraisal Online Toolkit
- right to apply for SOM awards
- ISO 9001 certified appraisal service for doctors
- access to the members website to help you in your professional life
- representation to government, NICE, other stakeholders and the media
- a listing in our Find an Occupational Health Professional Directory
- special interest groups on MSK, HAVS, Skin, Occupational Health Management, Mental Health and Travel Medicine and access to a CESR support group
- 40% off the occupational health & wellbeing magazine, a 20% discount on Oxford University Press books in Public Health and Epidemiology and 15% off Medic Accountants first years fees for tax return and accountancy advice.
- use of a meeting area in our offices near St Paul’s, London
- opportunity to put oneself forward, or vote, for members of the SOM board
As full membership, but excluding access to the SOM/James Hallam Occupational Health Nurse insurance
As full membership, but excluding the Occupational Medicine Journal, a listing on our 'Find an Occupational Health Professional Directory', eNews, job alerts, or access to the appraisal service. No constitutional rights to put oneself forward, or vote, for members of the SOM board
Retired membership (Not open to new members)
For existing members who have retired from medical practice. No voting rights but otherwise full membership benefits
Online access to the Journal of Occupational Medicine, a dedicated student eNews, access to the member’s website, 40% off the occupational health & wellbeing magazine, and a 20% discount on Oxford University Press books in Public Health and Epidemiology.
Full member benefits. For companies wishing to pay for multiple members. Please contact email@example.com for more information
The Occupational Medicine journal
The Journal recently launched a Global Occupational Medicine special issue. The Journal produces podcasts highlighting important content published in recent issues, and in-depth interviews with research experts on key topics. There are also entertaining discussions with a variety of journal contributors. You can subscribe to the Occupational Medicine podcast, or listen or download to individual podcast episodes.
All members are welcome to contribute to our journal. Please prepare your manuscript according to the Instructions to Authors; please visit the online submission website. The editorial office can be contacted via firstname.lastname@example.org
You can fulfil your CPD or Continuing Medical Education (CME) or e-learning requirements with Oxford E-Learning (OeL) from Oxford University Press. Content is written by leading experts and peer reviewed to the highest standards.
To access Occupational Medicine CME tests, you will need to register an Oxford e-Learning account.
'The Effects of Arts, Trades & Professions on Health & Longevity' by Charles Turner Thackrah
We have a number of reprints of this famous work combined with a biography by Andrew Meiklejohn, who was himself a distinguished Occupational Physician and teacher.
Price: £25.00 (UK inc. p&p) £30.00 (outside UK). To obtain a copy, please contact us.