London (Buckingham Palace Road)
Transport for London
Transport for London, Occupational Health Physician
Position Type: Full Time
Contract Type: Permanent
Salary: Circa £95,000
Location: London (Buckingham Palace Road)
Hybrid - Hybrid working within this role enables a balance of 50 per cent of time split between the office and home over a 4-week period. Hybrid working arrangements can evolve subject to business requirements.
The core role of this post is to undertake medical and occupational health assessment of individuals in order to advise the business on occupational health and safety issues in accordance with relevant legislation, standards and guidelines laid down by the industry and professional bodies such as the Office of the Rail Regulator, the General Medical Council, the Faculty of Occupational Medicine and TfL policy, in addition, this role contributes to other aspects of the work of the medical advisory team. The role is delivered through demonstrating TfL values in the context of the TfL strategy. This means putting customers at the centre of everything you do, being accountable, getting the right things done effectively and efficiently and working with other people to do it directly, fairly and consistently. There is a focus on delivering high quality, effective and efficient OH services. Continuous improvement is achieved through frequently asking “can we do this better, simpler, cheaper?”
- Responsible for undertaking clinical or paper based medical assessment using the agreed standards for a variety of reasons to provide advice to individuals, their managers and other interested parties. These assessments would include, pre-employment, periodic review, fitness for work, sickness absence and Safety on the Track Certification among others.
- Contribute in the provision of triage of cases to allocate casework appropriate to the skills and experience of clinical teams. Be aware and work towards achieving departmental KPIs and SLAs.
- Carry out the compilation of medical reports e.g., pension purposes or other. Contribute to any other activity of the OH team as directed by their manager.
- After appropriate training they will carry out positive drug test medical reviews as required.
- Provide fitness to work advice and advice about medication to managers.
- Provide advice and guidance to managers and employees on a range of occupational health issues where individual case assessment is not required.
- Participate and organise where appropriate in health surveillance programmes in accordance with statutory responsibilities and identified need.
- Advise on addressing clusters of workplace ill-health and looking at wider OH issues using appropriate analysis and resulting in presentation of health data and report writing for a wide organisational audience.
- Deliver training about OH for TfL managers and employees and for OH colleagues. Contribute to development and updating of training materials.
- Responsible for all aspects of revalidation with the GMC. Ensure own CPD development with plans for career progression and personal development. In time they may endeavour to develop own niche or area of speciality.
- The post holder will further support the department and help to provide appropriate advice by attending attendance meetings and any other relevant management and employee meetings and workplace visits.
- Fully registered with GMC (Essential).
- Diploma in Occupational Medicine qualification or higher or international equivalent (Essential).
You must be able to demonstrate:
- Good partnership and team working (Essential).
- Excellent professional judgement and competence (Essential).
- Enthusiasm (Essential).
- Desire to learn (Essential).
- Willingness to receive feedback and learn from mistakes (Essential).
- Willingness to engage in further training towards Diploma or MSc in OH where appropriate (Essential).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills so that advice to managers and customers is clear and compliant with best practice guidelines and internal guidance (Essential).
- Previous Occupational Medicine experience (Desirable).
- Occupational Health experience in a safety critical working environment would be an advantage (Desirable).
Equality and Diversity
TfL is committed to equality, diversity and inclusion. They want to represent the city they serve, which will help them become a more innovative and efficient organisation. TfL's goal is to make their recruitment as inclusive as possible. TfL is a disability confident employer who guarantee an interview to any disabled candidate who meets all of the essential criteria. TfL also use anonymising software that removes identifying information from CVs and cover letters to make the process fair.
Please apply using your CV and a two-page covering letter. Think carefully about the skills, knowledge and experience in the advert and cover this in your CV.
The closing date for applications is 27 November at 23:59.
In return for your commitment and expertise, you will enjoy excellent benefits and scope to grow. Rewards vary according to the business area but mostly include:
- Final salary pension scheme.
- Free travel for you on the TfL network.
- A 75% discount on National Rail Season Ticket and interest free loan.
- 30 days annual leave plus public and bank holidays (delete one).
- Private healthcare discounted scheme (optional).
- Tax-efficient cycle-to-work programme.
- Retail, health, leisure and travel offers.
- Discounted Eurostar travel.
Closing Date: 2023-11-27 00:00:00